“It can be exhausting growing a little human”
It can be exhausting growing a little human, shopping for baby, running to doctor’s appointments only to sit there for hours, counting kicks, mulling over names, answering endless (well-meaning) questions from relatives and friends, sending your partner out at the crack of dawn to urgently search for organic sun-dried pickles and ice cream.
That is exactly why pampering yourself with a pregnancy massage will do just the trick to chill out for a bit.
And as you may know, the benefits don’t stop there. They are bountiful, both on a physiological, emotional and psychological level. Pregnancy massage may:
- Alleviate stress on weight-bearing joints and other structures
- Assist in remedying many of the common discomforts experienced during pregnancy: muscular discomforts, lower-back pain, upper-back pain, headaches, leg cramps, sciatica, stiffness, tension and knots, carpal tunnel syndrome, headaches, heartburn and acid reflux, fatigue, varicose veins, nasal congestion, shortness of breath, edema of the lower extremities, neck pain, hip joint pain and other pains as well as constipation
- Increase blood circulation, which provides more oxygen and nutrients to both mother and fetus and stimulates the lymph system, thereby increasing immunity and removal of toxins
- Stabilise hormonal levels and helps relieve depression or anxiety caused by hormonal changes
- Soothe and relax the nervous system by releasing endorphins into the mother’s body. As a result, the expectant mother feels more relaxed and at ease, and will also sleep more easily and more deeply
- Assist in maintaining good posture and adjusting to a changing alignment caused by the baby’s increasing weight. Massage increases muscle tone and flexibility, enhancing the ability to carry this extra weight while also relieving aches and pains, leg cramps and muscle spasms.
- Ease the load on the heart and helps keep blood pressure in check
- Enhance the pliability of skin and underlying tissues
- Support the return of blood to the heart and increases blood flow to the uterus and placenta.
- Prepare the mother-to-be for an easier delivery with its sedating effect on the nervous system, promoting relaxation and stress relief
- Offer a natural, safe, drug-free alternative choice for pain relief, since taking medications are often limited during a pregnancy for the sake of the unborn child
- In addition to the physical benefits, prenatal massage provides expecting women with the emotional support and nurturing touch provided by nonsexual human touch and energy.
When I work with clients in Baby Planning or Holistic Sleep Coaching (for babies or during pregnancy), I always encourage my clients to invite a relaxing massage into their lives as often as they can. Any pregnant mom can benefit with some pampering, provided the massage therapist is qualified (preferably within the last 5 years) and works regularly with pregnant clients. Look for a three-year history of performing prenatal massage on a frequent basis.
Make sure you have the go-ahead from your doctor (especially if your pregnancy is considered higher risk) before you explore any form of therapy.
When I work with parents to improve sleep for their household, their well-being and self-care is crucial to their ability of caring for their little cherub and forms an essential part of the Sleep Plan. And what better way to relax, release and let your tension melt away. With that, being said, each person is different and there are clients that don’t enjoy being touched by “strangers”. Self-care for them, takes on a different form and we sit together to find their sweet spot.
“an innocent happy ending to your daily tensions”
So below I have compiled a list (below in alphabetical order) where you can get your prenatal massage fix in Luxembourg, bringing an innocent happy ending to your daily tensions…
Disclaimer: Neither the author or Luxmama Club & ParentPrep asbl shall not be held responsible for any negligence resulting from a service provided by practitioners listed hereafter. Please use your own discretion to investigate suitability.
Thai pregnancy massage therapy as well as Reiki & Ortho-Bionomy therapy offered by Chrystele Welter – Sandweiler.
Price depending on hot/cold oil options – varies between €65 (45 min) – €120 (90 min)
Joëlle Hoffmann: http://www.joellehoffmann.lu/fr/femme-enceinte
“Unifying masssage” for mother and baby by Joëlle, a Pshycomotrician, reflexologist and trained pregnancy and baby masseuse – Limpertzberg.
Price available upon request
Indoor swimming centre with full spa offering a “Future maman massage” – Strassen.
30 min: €38 or 55 min: €60
Chiropractic & Wellness Centre with various massage therapists offering pregnancy massage: Kristy, Gigja, and Dorothy – Kirchberg.
This massage, available from your second trimester of pregnancy, uses Ayurvedic massage techniques which releases muscular tension in the back, heaviness of the legs and more – Mondorf-les-bains (as well as in-home sessions offered when purchasing a block of 5 or 10 sessions.)
60 min: €90 (reduction available when purchased in multiple blocks of sessions)
Although not always indicated on their website, they do offer prenatal massage options. Please inquire – Mondorf-les-bains.
Prices from 25min for €49
(+352) 23 666 – firstname.lastname@example.org
Ayurvedic style pregnancy massage by highly qualified Ayurvedic therapist – Biwer (22 min from Luxembourg City Center)
55 min (70 min incl breaks): €75
Various massage options, including Tibetan singing bowls from a “naturotherapist” – Bereldange
30 min: €45, 45 min: €65, 60 min:€80 and more.
Expecting Mama Wellness package: 30 min cleanse, scrub and facial mask combined with foot and leg massage. Spa access is included but keep in mind sauna/steam room are not recommended during pregnancy – Oberfeulen
90 min: €115
In France, Luxembourg and Belgium as from the 2nd trimester – In-home
60 min: €90
A personalized massage tailored to your needs. Whether you need to alleviate tension or discomfort in the neck, shoulders and upper back, lower back pains or swelling of the hands or feet, this massage is designed for you. Comfort and sensitivity are vital in helping you to relax and enjoy your pregnancy, motherhood and of course baby – In-home
60 min €120, 90 min: €165
Highly recommended therapeutic women’s massage for all life stages (cyclic, fertility, menopausal challenges, endometriosis and cysts etc) by highly qualified physiotherapist (Kinésithérapist). Also especially for pregnancy. – Junglinster
Price on request
NEW LIFE, MOTHER-TO-BE: €135 for 75 min – An unique synergy of massage and products with natural active ingredients to restore body tissue elasticity and firmness. A rebalancing, tonifying and firming treatment with nourishing actions and relief to reactivate the function of the lymph and vein system.
INNER PEACE & HARMONY: €100 for 60 min – This delicious relaxing massage brings comfort during pregnancy and an exceptional harmony between the baby and the mother.
VITAL LEGS: €65 for 35 min – Legs massage to improve circulation and reduce swelling.
Boulevard de la Pétrusse, Luxembourg
Pregnancy massage focusing on the special needs of the mother-to-be as her body undergoes dramatic changes. The massage helps to relieve stress on weight-bearing joints such as ankles, low back and pelvis as well as alleviates neck and back pain caused by muscle imbalance – Walferdange
60 min €70
Wellness institute offering energetic wellness, iridologie, raw food cooking classes & coaching offers, natural beauty treatments and more. For mamas-to-be a “Drainage future maman” is offered promising to drain the lymph fluids, activate blood circulation and relieve back tension at – Place Guillaume II, Luxembourg City
Experienced Ayurvedic therapist offering not only prenatal Ayurvedic massages but also postnatal – Ehlange-sur-Mess (Luxembourg)
Another form of therapy, extremely useful during pregnancy is reflexology. Watch out for a future post on this topic.
Please shoot us a message, either as comment to this post or email@example.com to add any pregnancy massage treatment, not already listed here. And if you’d like to contribute an article to our blog, by writing a review of your experience with any prenatal massage in Luxembourg, we want to hear from you too!
More about the Author:
As mother of two darling babies, Certified IMPI Holistic Pregnancy & Child Sleep Coach, Baby Planner and Happiest Baby Educator, Marise Hyman provides worldwide maternity, sleep & parenting coaching & education for expecting/future/new parents through Marise Hyman Maternity Coaching – setting them up for success, so they can sail into their new lives with confidence!
She is also the founder of the Luxmama Club & ParentPrep asbl, an edgy non-profit organisation raising awareness for green, natural & holistic parenting alternatives, birth rights and postnatal mood disorders by offering a variety of inspiring social and educational events in Luxembourg.